Tuesday, December 18, 2012
DIY Rice Krispie treats
If these were any easier or took any less time, I'd start making them with my eyes closed just for the fun of it. I don't know anyone who doesn't prefer a homemade rice krispie treat over a store bought boxed one, so I'm going to tell you how to make these babies just in time for Christmas!
You will need:
- 5 or 6 cups of Kellogg's Rice Krispies (I used 5 1/2 and feel that the consistency was perfect)
- 1 package of marshmallows (approx. 10 oz.) OR one 7 oz. jar of marshmallow fluff
- 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1. In a large sauce pan, heat your butter over low heat. Then add your marshmallows or marshmallow fluff and stir until completely melted. (Almost constantly for 3-5 minutes.)
2. Add your rice krispies and stir until all are well coated, then pour them into a buttered/greased baking dish and mash them flat. (Mash them with a piece of wax paper or a buttered spatula to keep them from sticking to anything.)
3. Once they are cool, you can use cookie cutters to cut them into shapes. Then decorate them to your taste or let your children decorate them! I shook some sprinkles over mine and drizzled some icing and called it a day, but next time I'd like to try to melt some icing and pour it over some of the treats and then decorate them. Or maybe just add some icing to the tops of some and make stockings as well as other shapes. There are just so many options! Enjoy!
In the comments: What are some of your favorite Christmas time treats?